Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How prevelant is Lotus Notes in todays workplace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I would like to know the prevelance of Lotus Notes in todays IT workplace. Aren't ppl moving towards Outlook instead.

Also what are some good beginner books I can get to help me learn Notes.

We are using Windows 2000 servers and Windows XP/2000/98 desktops but we use Notes for email (200users) and would not dream of moving away from it. We uninstall Outlook from all PC setups and block POP3 traffic on the LAN. For us Notes is secure and robust and we have never had a virus get through our Notes+AV setup.

I believe that, during the past few years, IBM has made a certain amount of marketing mistakes, while Microsoft has been persuing clients with its usual aggressiveness.
The end result is that, while many companies using Notes are sticking with it, I hear fewer and fewer "wins" for Notes. In the meantime, reports of companies switching from Notes to Outlook are more numerous.
I fail to comprehend what can possibly motivate anybody to go from a robust, secure mail system to one that is patently riddled with security holes and requires a medical team on 24/7 alert, but this tendancy seems to real.
In other words, I think IBM is trying to kill the notion of Notes and replace it with Websphere, action which leaves the regular mail-wanting clients wide open to the influence of Microsoft. It is ironic that the company that owns the best product tries to kill it for database reasons, while the customers buying the best product have, for years, been doing so for mail reasons.
I may be wrong though, but still, how many companies have announced going to Notes/Domino in 2003 ?

As for books, I know of none, but several good websites are available :
notesdesign
Notes FAQ

and, of course, the official sites :
DeveloperWorks
Lotus.com
and the most useful,
the sandbox

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search