Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how one can start a small ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvdba

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2008
US
Hi.
i wasn't sure where to put this. but i have a question about starting an isp. how does one start an ISP? where one can be on the net?
thanks.

Can you clarify whether you mean:

1. ISP (internet service provider) like ATT and Ma Bell or BT in the UK

2, LLU (local loop unbundler) who rents 'last-mile' lines from real ISP and supplies infrastructure at the local exchange onto the main backbone

3. Web hosting

4. Something else?

You may do better to re-ask this question (with the answer to my question) in forum1248

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

johnwm,
thanks for the reply.
basically i'm interested in hosting my own website. that's all i want to do.
what do i need to have in order to host my own website?
thanks.

I host my own site. I use directnic to redirect traffic to my server and to register my domain name ($25 a year) (lantzvillecomputers.com). Of course you need to set up a web server on your machine, I use microsoft IIS (comes with OS)another good choice is Apache (free). It is relatively easy and cheap to run your own server. So in a nutshell what you need is 1 a domain name 2 a redirection service 3 a web server on your machine. bada bing bada boom your an ISP.

Glen

Check out faq253-3718. The guy who wrote it has a lot of experience hosting websites. Note the FAQ is several years old, so you may need to google some of the references

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

basically i'm interested in hosting my own website. that's all i want to do.

Just to clarify, in case it helps you find a better solution, ISPs are Internet Service Providers - they provide users with internet facilities. This is not the same thing as simply wanting to host your own website.

When looking for hosting, you need to take into account many factors:

- Where your servers are located compared to the majority of your customers / visitors (for speed)

- How much bandwidth you might need (some hosting packages offer unlimited, some are limited)

- How much disk space you need

- What server-side technologies (if any, e.g. PHP, ASP, JSP, etc) you need

- Whether you want to run a dedicated server or a shared server / VM

- Whether you want a Windows host (usually offering IIS) or a *nix based one (usually offering Apache)

Hope this helps,

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

thanks to all of you who helped me get a better understanding of what's needed. it seems that there's a lot of things involved that i didn't know about. i think my best bet and best choice would be to have the site hosted by and ISP (internet service provider).
thanks so much.

If you're wanting to do a personal site, you can usually do that via your ISP for free, as well as many other sources online for free small sites.

If it's for a business, I'd highly suggest contracting with a web designer to get one setup for you, unless you are determined to learn the whole thing yourself.

I wouldn't suggest running your own server at your own location unless you have read and made sure it doesn't violate your ISP's internet service contract. Most "home" or personal accounts specifically forbid running your own web servers out of your home. For those purposes, they usually charge a higher fee through a business account.

For starters, if you just want to throw up a small site for testing or for yourself, you can do a free one at Many a non-techical person have started a site here. It's pretty much point and click, and type what you want to say..

And there are many many other free websites out there. You can search for "free hosting" and "free website" things like that. Just be careful of which links you click, as there are also a lot of malware ridden sites lurking behind the keyword, "free". [smarty]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back