Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How network Vista and DOS computer by router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanooh

Technical User
Jan 14, 2011
GB
Hi, I am trying to network two computers using router but both cannot access their shared resources. Each one can ping the other and command net view \\pcname works but without listing shared resources, always after the end you can see: access has been denied. Is it because DOS is using too old Winsock?
I cut off all firewall and UAC and the result: no change at all. When I try to connect from DOS to Vista is a bit better because net view is asking for a password , I type all known passwords used on Vista for administrators and all users and access is still denied. I even created the same account on Vista as I have on DOS with the same password but no positive result again.

However when I connect Windows98 and DOS computers through the same router everything works perfectly, they can exchange shared files.
Also I can network Windows98 with Vista computers, everything works perfect.
So what I shall do now?
I recognized that Vista has no NetBEUI support and you cannot add this protocol from the list of available protocols. In DOS and Windows 98 I have both protocols but default is set for TCPIP.
Thank you for any tips and advice,
yanooh

Are the shares in Vista ntfs? because dos won't see those, maybe an issue with the protocols being too different but I don't think so. For dos to see and hard drive or folder shares, they would have to be in the original FAT file system, which Vista I don't think will do, as it does not have dos support built in, and dos won't see any ntfs partition or folder on an ntfs drive.

Yes, this is something I forgot about maybe because I could connect Windows98 computer to Vista I didn't think that obviously DOS is different animal.
What do you think if I use the utility called NTFSDos distributed probably with DOS 7.10 or as a separate program?
I do not have it at the moment but I could browse internet to find it.
Anyway your path brings some light to the darkness ,
Thank you

Although there are reported issues with using it I shared stuff between a DOS system and Vista through a Lantastic network using tcpip early in the Vista era.

IIRC I used NDIS drivers downloaded from the NIC manufacturers. Like a lot of my network builds, this one was dismantled within a couple of days.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Although the Vista machine is no longer part of the network I share DOS and XP stuff via the Lantastic or, in another way, by having a DOS/98SE multi boot system and share the DOS stuff while operating in 98.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ntfs4dos might work, I have no working knowledge with that though.

I am trying few new solutions and probably I will be able to network Vista and DOS because I see some small progress. I am using tools from rktools designed for Microsoft Server 2003.
During this weekend I will have more time to experiment and hopefully I will solve this issue.
But any further tips are welcome since nothing is sure ,yet.
Thx
yanooh

Have you enabled NTLM2 on the windows 98 PC?
See this doc
It explains NTLM2 that by default Vista is set to.

For a DOS PC you need to change VISTA to use LM Lan Manager(Challenge/Response)if this can be done.
DOS userid/password is sent in clear text.
DOS only use this method (as far as I know)
I think there is a doc on MS Support, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back