Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much time & effort to does it take move sysdb to SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffCPA

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Can some users out there help me out and let me know how much time and effort it took them to move the system database from Access 97 to SQL Server. Our system database is at 110 MB. I have an IT department that says the conversion is a "significant project" and they refuse doing it despite documentation from Seagate and powerusers of SQL Server and Access that say it is necessary. I am looking for as many responses as possible so can decide on which way to go with this.

Thanks

Its a fairly insignificant project. The most difficult part of the entire process is deciding where to physically locate the database. Depending on your current environment and resources, this may be the actual bottleneck. The entire conversion process itself, including documentation and backups, will take less than a day. Remember to remind them that the DBA doesn't actually need to create the database tables (this would be a significant project, otherwise). The tables are created during the conversion process.

Regarding the conversion being necessary. This depends entirely upon your reporting environment. Mine operates perfectly well under cinfo.mdb (which hovers between 35 and 60MB, depending on maintenance cycles). Do you have any ability to compact your System DB or is that 110 MB already compacted? You may also be able to reduce the amount of required space by reorganizing your Info Desktop folder environment - fewer folders means less space. Do you have multiple copies of one single physical report file? Fewer objects on the desktop mean less space in the database.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back