Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much storage does a specific host use on our Symmetrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmhweb

Programmer
Jul 25, 2011
DE
Hi,

i am no EMC² Admin (Symmetrix). I am in charge of Nagios and am suppost to monitor the beast. But thats exactly what Nagios does, check the status. But most people at my workplace think its some kind of CMDB.

Here is the problem:

I have watched an "EMC² Administrator" using an executable on our EMC² adminserver (win%). He was able to pull out a huge amount of infolists. But he said there is no way to determin the actual capacity used by a certain host/node (I am not used to storage terms).
Only how much space is allocated, but not how much is actually in use of this allocated space.

There has to be a way, using these executables, right?

I don't need a solution, although it would be great (quick command example). A hint would be fantastic. They are too scared to let me try working with those executables provided by EMC² (proabably a got idea, although that is the kind of thing I do everyday).

Unless you are using thin provising on the array the array has no idea how much data is on each LUN. You would need to look at the actual hosts to see how much data is on each server. You could use PowerShell to pull the list of computers, then loop through that list and pull the disk id, used space, free space and total space for each drive then match this up against the LUNs.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back