Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much does an IP or ISP tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2006
US
With the current Google case, there is a concern over the privacy of the users. I am wondering if the government does actually get the search results, then does that amount to revealing the identity of the user via IP or ISP? If personal information is only given out under court order now, then does this mean that by the government having the IP and/or ISP of a computer they have access to identity? I am currently participating in an ethics panel in which I am defending user rights to privacy, but am concerned that their privacy may not actually be at stake.

[ponder]

Currently the govermnet is not asking for who is searching what just what is being searched. However it is possible for google to give them your IP adress wich can identify the individual user. For most home users without a registered domain they would have to go to the ISP to find out who the IP adress was assigned to at a certain time. But as we saw in the music industries law suits against people sharing files the ISPs seem to be willing to give out this information.

Hello all,

We had a power shut down this morning and all our servers were down. After getting the power back up, all the other servers and their loader came back up but the tape loader would not communicate with the server. Anytime I click on the device tab in arcserve, it says that the device is 'offline'. Does someone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be?

Regards
Amorfat.

Go to the web site and see if there are any security that you need to know about, before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back