Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much byte of data VB reads from SQL 2k tables ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

addsd

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
US

Dear All,

I would like to know how VB read data from SQL server 2k and write into SQL server 2k... I mean how much byte of data it's retreive while reading table based on query applied and how much size of data will it write into a table based on the SQL statement given...

My question is, I have 2 tables (SQL 2k).. Table1 and Table2. Both table contain many number rows... about 500,000 rows in each table..

Table1's row size is about 800 bytes (i.e. 8 columns, Type is nvarhar and size is 100) and table2's row size is about 400 bytes (i.e. 4 cloumns, Type varchar, size 100)

If I execute following SQL statements how VB is going to read the data from tables.

rs1.open "select *from Table1 where condition =
mCond",cn1,adLockOptimistic,adLokreadonly

Assume that above recorset would return about 20,000 rows. So, how VB is going to retrieve ? Is it going to retrieve entire data or will it read specific amount of byte of data ? If later, then what's the default pages size..?

My question may be simple to you guys but it's would really worth for me if any of you could clarify my above doubts..

If you require any further clarification on my question, please feel free to ask me..

Many thanks in advance...

Best reagrds,

Ahmed J.

I believe it still retrieves in 2kb chunks, but will keep retrieving until the cache is full (Keyset). The cache setting can be changed. Or if you move to the end of the cursor, then all data will be retrieved, but this also depends on the type of cursor and where it is located.

With local static cursor, if you execute the MoveLast command, all the data will be placed into a temporary local file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back