Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much BANDWIDTH will be used for this setup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpau80

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2005
US
We are setting up a wireless network to run an Intranet Web application. There will be around 60 users connecting using there wireless laptop using the SYMBOL WS 2000 wireless switch + 4 Access ports (AP300)

Is there a tool which tells me as how much bandwith I can use at the MAX and how much is currently being used ?

There are several network mapping tools out there that can map your network, Chariot is one that comes to mind.

If you are using 100BASE-T switches, then 100 mbps is the max bandwidth you will have across your network.

If you are using 802.11G wireless, then 54 mbps is the max you can utilize across the wireless network.

If all laptops are on at the same time and the bandwidth is being shared equally between them across the four access points, and there are no other factors in play such as firewalls, etc then they may download about 3.5 mbps, if my quick mental calculations aren't faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back