Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much bandwidth is used by programs like Spinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxwink

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
I administer a very large LAN/WAN and am having a problem with things slowing down. I beleive that part of my problem may be that we are eating up bandwidth because of people using Spinner and etc. Can anyone help me out here? Some of our business managers claim that they have emailed Spinner and according to them it's not using much bandwidth. I need some hard evidence so that I can restrict access. the specifics of my network are as follows:
TCP/IP, 8 sites connecting via Fiber through Novell Border Managers, Total users on Network about 900 of which at least 25 are running Spinner. All LANs connect back to a central Border Manager then to an N2H2 Bess Internet Filter and then to a T1 line. HELP PLEASE.
THanks.
Baxwink

Spinner could stream your content at about 24Kbps, which is the standard for an audio stream brodcast.. this may vary depending on line conditions, but it may also increase.. with 20Kbps being the minimum.. at this type bandwidth, considering that the possibility og shooting to even 40Kbps, 25 user with Spinner are going to hog a larger percentage of your T-1... i would finding out the ports/protocols Spinner uses on your network, and monitor these ports/protocols on your manager, so u can estimate how much bandwidth they are using..

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back