Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How move text file from NT to Unix box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VNDN

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hello everyone,
I have a standalone VB application that generates a couple files to a directory on the LAN. And after those files are generated need to move thoses file to a Unix server but I haven't done anything like that before. I dont even know if it is possible. Please guide me. Thank you much in advance.

Hi There - yes it is possible and in a number of different ways.

In the past I have used FTP (File Transfer protocol) to send the file to the unix box from the NT box.

Another mechanism is to use some third party software on the NT box that allows you to map the Unix machine directories to NT drives i.e. e: on the NT server is mapped to the Unix server\required directory. You can then simply issue a file copy statement from within VB.

It was some time ago, but I think the software I used was called Samba but there are plenty of other software packages out there (some freeware).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back