Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How may I query XP for the USB version my PC supports? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromberg

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I purchased my PC in August 2002 and have since put on XP SP1. How can I tell if my PC supports USB 2.0 ? The Control Panel shows USB support but not whether it's 1.1 or 2.0.
Thanks,
Danny

Or you could open the PCI to USB host controller in
devicemanager .
Look at drivers.
Loaded:
usbohci.sys = usb 1.0 (Ohci Original version 1.0)
usbuhci.sys = usb 1.1 (Uhci Uviversal version 1.1)
usbehci.sys = usb 2.0 (Ehci Enhanced version 2.0)

If device manager has
Standard PCI to USB controller ( USB 1.0)
Universal PCI to USB controller ( USB 1.1)
Enhanced PCI to USB controller ( USB 2.0)

syar

I don't know if these help but they might.

How do I distinguish between a USB 2.0 and a USB 1.1 device?

New logos designed by the USB Promoter Group allow consumers to easily identify the new USB 2.0 products. The new colorful logo for USB 2.0 is labeled USB Hi-Speed, and the new logo for USB 1.1 is labeled with USB Basic Speed. However, most people won’t miss it as manufacturers often label “USB 2.0 READY” or “40 times faster than USB 1.1” on the boxes.

To bcastner, SYAR2003, & linney:

Thanks folks! Your reply has convinced me that I don't have USB 2.0 on my XP-PC. The following quote from the 'faq' article makes me think I have to have a USB 2.0 card so apparently I need some hardware & not just an updated driver:

"If you don't have a USB 2.0 card installed in your system, Windows Update won't list the USB 2.0 driver as an update".

Off to CompUSA to see how much a USB 2.0 card will cost me.

Thanks once again for your solutions!
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back