Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many roles can go on a single server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmack

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
Hi, I'm setting up a home network for training, installed one single server (80 GB HD 3 GB processor 512 MB RAM) and put win2003 standard edition on it. Right now it's networked with 4 computers together with a router to a broadband connection, with IP addresses assigned automatically. So far so good, file and print sharing and everything works...but I'm wondering how much more I can add, can I also make it a domain controller and mail server and IIS and DNS and add Exchange 2003/ AD?

Everything I've read talks about using at least 2 servers..but since this isn't a real world situation can I cram it all onto one?

Thanks!

With only 4 machines the server won't be doing much so I wouldn't worry to much. Unless you intenting to use IIS to host a real popular site.. stream videos or something.
Of course 2 servers would be *better*.. I would probably recommend giving it more ram and some more HD space to play with.

Once you have it set up you can monitor (trace logs and such) to determin if you are over using it. Also don't forget to backup -- especialy read about ASR.

Oh and if you going to have it accessable by the outside world (with IIS etc) make sure you have a GOOD firewall installed and setup.

keep in mind microsoft sells SBS - which includes all of these services on one server. Its fine for a small shop, but obviously going to run into problems as it gets bigger.

for learning/training, go right ahead ;)

But you may learn more if you have at least 2 computers, one server and another client, to ensure you understand many aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back