Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many records is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol34

MIS
Nov 17, 1999
US
I was wondering how many records does Access 97 and Access 2000 support. I heard that 30,000 records was about it for 97, is this true? Did 2000 increase that number?

Thanks

Very dependent upon RAM, but I have a '97 Access database with a table with 300,000 records. Hums right along.

It's not necessarily how many records that limits Access, you have to also consider the number of people accessing the database concurrently. To make the database run efficiently, make sure you declare indexes on fields in the tables that you will often use to look up information. Also most users don't need to pull up all records on a form. For those who just need to enter data, you can set up a data entry screen where only newly added records are shown. A properly-designed Access DB adhering to data normalization can handle over a million records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back