Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how many queries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brbarto

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
A newbie question:
I know you can query a query, but how many levels of queries can you do?? For example, can I do a union query on several queries, which some of them may be based on a query, and then do a query on the union query?

Thanks for any comments!

Brbarto,

You can do exactly what you asked in your post. I have an application that uses a query that chains 4 queries together, then unions 4 queries including the one I described, then queries that result. Access 2000 SQL seems pretty tolerant about letting us do these things, and I have not yet found anyplace where it stops me and says "too many queries", although there are practical limits when the performance gets pretty bad. In that case, I have found that saving an intermediate or working table of preliminary query results and joining that to other tables or queries produces faster execution. But, the answer to your question is definitely "Yes".

Regards,
xbigblue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back