Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many ports are available for HTTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
I'm trying to set up multiple website on one server, and I just learnt that each website must have its own unique port. When I log into my router to do port forwarding, I notice that port 79 is reserved for "finger" (whatever that is), port 80 is reserved for HTTP, and port 110 is reserved for pop3. I assume, therefore, that I have ports 80 to 109 (30 ports) for HTTP access. This means I have a maximum of 30 websites I can host on my server. Is this correct?

OK, well I'll tell you my problem: I'm trying to setup multiple websites using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and IIS (6.0 I think). Appearantly, it won't let me run more than one website at the same time on the same port. It will let me assigned 80 to one website and 81 to another, and that's how I've got it setup now.

Also, I've got the domain name registered with register.com. I can log into my account with them and manually set the IP address this domain name points to. Is it possible to set it to 123.456.789.012:8080 or 123.456.789.012:8081 or so on? Will this be compatible with my router which is doing port forwarding to my server?

HTTP Headers is the way forward.

You can define the Headers in the IIS config pages and this will allow you to run lots of sites using a single address all on port 80.

When the broswer requests the site by name the server is clever enough to figure out which site you wanted despite that fact that they are all on the same address/port.

If you you will get the default site returned.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back