Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many PIX VPN connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog32

MIS
Apr 10, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how many VPN 3DES connections a PIX 515 (without an accelerator card) can terminate whilst retaining adequate throughput of 'normal' traffic to keep a 2Mb/s connection busy.

We would like to achieve 40 VPN connections in total between 801 routers so; each tunnel is only going to run at an absolute maximum of rate of 128kb/s. The average sustained rate is likely to be 45 kb/s I guess.

Has anyone any ideas or better still currently doing this?

Regards,
Maddog

hi,

For my experience, i'm trying this:
3 pix : 1 pix 515 and 2 pix 506.

PIX 515
|
| 2 tunnels VPN DES (56 bits)
/ / Pix 506 Pix 506

When the Ipsec, ISAKMP is negociated, we have 40 % CPU charge and when all tunnel is negociated, i have a 2 % charge CPU (ping, http, ftp protocol to test ).
The IPsec's negociation tunnel with Pre-share Key is very important ( 10% by tunnel). After this negociation, the charge's cpu is under 2 % with traffic IP.
If you realized many many tunnel vpn, try VPN 3005 (100 tunnels maxi) (end's tunnel) and VPN CISCO 3002 (for end's client)
Best regards

Bordeau Jerome - France

Thanks.

From the figures you've provided 40 connections will make the PIX cpu 80% (assuming a linear scale). Not alot left for running the additonal 2Mb/s connection!

Has anyone any other figures with different numbers of VPN connections to determine whether the scale is linear or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back