Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many DNS servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
hi

I have 5 differant site (different subnets) all linking back to the head office through 128k isdn connection. I am upgrading the servers to windows 2000 and was wondering if i need to set each server at each site up as a DNS server?

The DNS on the fist 2000 server is active directory integrated, so i can promote each server to a domain controller (so they can validate users at each site)without actually installing DNS on each one.

I am worried that if the only dns server is at the head office, DNS requests will cause a lot of traffic across the WAN. However if i have several DNS servers will they confuse each other?

What is the best practice for this?

Any help would be greatfull

Define the sites, configure them, and their subnets.
You need one Global Catalog, and a DNS server on each site. As I'm saying almost in every message, DNS is very important for Windows 2000.
If you are using more domains, don't forget to have a secondary zone of the root domain, or at least of the "_msdcs" zone. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back