Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many channels per user?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2002
US
Hello.

At my company, we have a T-1 Line between our sites. These lines are being shared by both voice and data.

Currently we are only using 6 channels for data and 18 for voice. Of course with only 6 channels for data, this slows our data transfers to 384Kbits.

Is it overkill to have 18 channels for voice traffic if the company only has 130 phone users? If so, how many channels would you recommend I use for voice? If you could give me a general guideline ratio, that would be superb! (ie. 1 channel per x number of concurrent phone users)

Also, any referencing documentation/material you could provide would help me greatly.

You need to give more information as to the function of the users to answer that question well. One rule of thumb to use is an hour a day per person in a standard business office (i.e. accounting). If that's the case 18 sounds like it is about right. Is it you have more data requirements and you need to increase the bandwidth?

But you metioned this circuit connects two locations directly; so is this just for internal traffic or are these the circuits used to access the outside world (such as a remote site homed to a PBX)? Then there is the question about inbound traffic, is there any?

One posible advantage you have is that it sounds like this circuit is in use now. Can you pull your stats? If you are able to provide more details I can help you out better.

Jess

I apologize for not providing enough information. I have completely no idea how telephone systems function on a T-1. But, you are correct, I have more data requirements and need to increase the bandwidth.

I work at a small non-profit mental health clinic.

I will look into pulling statistics.

Do these "Statistics" usually show the channel usage?

Have your Telephone company run a network audit on the lines to determine your actual needs. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA,(Routing)
UOP Student BSIT
[americanflag]

Abe,

They could be able to, but again more info is needed to say yes or no. If I was your IT consultant, first off I would need to know what is the CPE on each end of that T1. If a PBX is at one end you should be able to pull stats that would tell you how many calls for how long went over each channel. If it is a G3 for instance you could go to the adm site and ask for a 'peg count' (how many calls) and channel usage by hour. That would show utilization and suggest if you have 'under utilized' circuits that could be moved off the group.

But then, how are the calls delivered to the circuits? Are they in an ARS group? Are there alternative ways to move traffic in a peak situation?

Overall, it's not as difficult as it may sound here. But you do need to know what you have and how it is being used. I'll be glad to help guide you since it appears you might not have the budget to pull in outside help. Just let me know more and I'll do what I can from here.

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back