Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many attempts at CCNA before passing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBongo

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
GB
Hello

I've now failed the CCNA 640-801 exam twice! Not
sure I want to do it again. I just don't understand
how I could fail, I know my stuff, I've spent a lot of time
studying and doing hands-on labs, and generally getting 90-95% in practice exams. Just don't know what I could be doing wrong.

Anyone esle out there that took more than 2 attempts to get the CCNA. Just wondering if I should give up now. Fortunately it isn't a requirement at work, and Cisco related work isn't my primary role, but still, nice to have it.

thanks

DrBongo

Hello
Did you fail because you didn't finish the exam in time?Are you nervous when doing the exam?What are your weak areas?You should do some hands on with routers.Try studying with a friend.Study harder in your weak areas
What test preps are you using?Testking is the best.If you prepared well the test isn't that difficult.The hardest part is the simulation.
Good luck next time
Minue

Hi
I finished the exam, I wasn't that nervous at first
but then q1 was a simulation that I was almost
certin I had right, its configuring an access-list.
although the statements looked correct, the access-list
didn't appear to work, I spent far to long trying to troublehsoot then I just moved on. A very frustating
start to the exam! The exam prep stuff I used was
Boson NetSim, Boson Exam environment and Transcender Exam environment. I checked out reviews and TestKing didn't do too well, why is it the best?

thanks

DrBongo

Hello
I don't want to tell you why on the forum,but .... Try to use your imagination.
In any case Testking has some errors that,I think they should find the time to correct them.But if you can over-look them it's the best.
Regards

ok cool! It does look good, also very cheap!!
Well I guess while this knowledge is fresh, I should really book the resit in!
I will probably buy the Q&A package, study guide and
lab guide. Is the Study guide downloadable do you know?

DrBongo

Hello
I never did check out their website I bought my Q&A package off Ebay,I don't it was the latest version though.Why don't you try to get some real hand on with a router?
Regards

Hi DrBongo.

You should just keep trying. I have had some of my students trying a couple of times to pass the CCNA, but just recently they passed because they studied togther and had joined together to try out the router commands - seing what effect an access-list have and so on.
The big insight came with the hands-on training.
I told them to work in groups and to put extra effort in the studies where they were less skilled.
And the passed with a fine score.
So keep on!
Best regards
///doktor

don't get too frustrated with not passing the test on a first or even second attempt. I hate to admit how many tests between cisco and novell certs that I had 3-4 attempts on. It really stinks to have to keep paying for them, but if you are really dedicated to getting the cert, keep at it.

doktor had a great tip in there, I had some of my better test results when a co-worker and I were working on certs together. Bounce ideas off each other, quiz each other, setup your own labs, and keep at it.

Took me four times before I finally passed mine. I was getting like 815, 821, etc. When I finally passed I ended up with a 987. It took me twice to pass the BSCI, but I passed BCRAN, BCMSN and CIT the first time.

Burt

Thanks for the info guys I think I'll hit it again in a month or so. thanks again for your feedback!

DrBongo

I used the Cisco Press books and got a 981 (2nd try). I also searched for free tutorials on the web, like the ones at bryant advantage. Don't let getting a good score on the practice exams fool you into thinking your ready. I failed the first time...I used Sybex and was answering all the sim questions right...What a mistake! Use the practice exams to find out what your weaknesses are and then brush up on that subject with the Cisco Press books.

I failed it twice myself, and I am in the process of studying without burning myself out. I have Boson ExamSim, and Testking, whereas Testking tend to have errors. Boson is right on target...even though my discipline isn't that great. I'm embarrassed but will keep trying till I pass it.

I tell ya, it's frustrating...good thing I don't have to pay for the exam from my job, they pay for it. get 3 free tries...after that, It's on me...

RCorrigan
Network+, (working on CCNA)

I keep seeing posts about people who are trying to pass the CCNA by using test questions - such as Transenders, Boson ExamSim and Test King.

I have no trouble with using Transenders and Boson ExamSim (I believe TestKings is just plain cheating!) ONCE YOU KNOW THE MATERIAL!!!

I have always said that you need a good Cisco Press book and the Sybex CCNA Study Guide to go through first, as well as tons of hands-on labs! Once you know the material then test yourself with the Exam software and then go back to the books based on the areas they said you were weak!

I get the feeling (and I know this is true from the many students I deal with) that people just try to learn from the exam questions, then when they take the CCNA exam and the question is a little different - they do not understand the concepts behind the question!

I had a student who failed the CCNA 4 times by trying to just study questions and the explanations! He finally took my advice and read the Sybex CCNA Study Guide 2x and passed the exam! I have known many that this has happened to, and in reading some of these posts I get the idea this is what is happening to some of these people - they just do not understand the material for the CCNA like the back of their hands!

I hope this helps - you need to know the stuff BEFORE you start using the practice exams :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

failed CCNA twice,
CIT twice
BCRAN once

Just keep learning hard. take each failure as a kick in the ass to work even harder, there is no magic trick. we fail when we haven't got enough knowledge yet to pass. simple as that.

I got my CCNA and CCNP eventually and in 2 weeks i start a new highly paid job specifically using my CCNP. All the hard work does pay off.

I still have yet to get out of the stupid server part of the field!lol

Burt

I moved back to the server field, and my CCNA from 2003, renewed via Pix exam in 2006, is expired.

Nonetheless, my study techniques for the CCNA & CSPFA were:
1. Work in the field. I was a Network Engineer managing a Cisco-based WAN.
2. Study the Sybex books carefully. I think they're among the best, and better than the Cisco ones for the Pix.

Study the sample questions carefully. Explain why each possible answer is right or wrong. Come up with different answers and explain them as well. I spent a fair amount of time talking to myself, "discussing" different scenarios. If I thought of a problem that I couldn't explain, I found out the answer.

Remember that the sample questions should be similar to, but won't be the same as, the test questions. Being able to explain the rationale behind each one goes a long way.

Knowing the material and passing the test aren't quite the same thing. I used the Boson questions for the CSPFA and found them very helpful to ensure that my test fee wasn't wasted.

I recommend you reading the Sybex CCNA Study Guide 5th Edition, Todd Lammle.
Sections about IP addressing, IP subnetting , VLSM desing and routing processes are explained very well.
The autor himself is good at explaining the network matter.
He is able to interest you and givo you real knowledge.
Quick brain dumps like TestKing and Pass4Sure do job.
Brain dumps are useful in the last 3 day before exam. Just to test what you learned, to remember something in the last moment. something you forgot about.
Brain dumps are for people who have fast and short memory. In my case I rememer the fact when they are logically connected,when they have a sense used together. I tried TestKing and it helped me for simple questions.
However for practice labs where you set up devices,
for analysing routing schemes, for subnetting schemes and ACLs rules, it doesn't help.

Greetings
Do you want to try good router emulation?
Do you need to run effectively RIP, OSPF and EIGRP?
Can you imagine 3 or more routers running together on a PC?
I am glad to tell about Dynamips software.

In my case I emulate 3 routers C3640 with 96 MB each. Every router takes 96 MB of RAM. The load on the PC CPU is always 100% and the emulation didn't crash even once.
Real Cisco IOS is loaded from an image that you can obtain from Cisco.com.
Dynamips runs one instance of a router. You can have a good practice for router commands.
Dynamips runs also in server mode. This allows several router instances to work together and to communicate. The more routers, the more RAM and CPU load.
When using Dynamips server mode you need software Dynagen that manages the start, running and termination of each router instance. Once you set up the initial Dynagen config file you can do RIP, OSPF and EIGRP routing.
Every router instance has its communication port open.
Through it you can set up every router with Telnet or HyperTerminal. The procedure is done on the local host and from a remote host.
If you are interested see

Did any of you guys use the Cisco Press Companion Guides in addition to the regular exam prep books? I am almost all servers and LAN with previous WAN experience (don't get to do much in my current environment these days). I have very little Cisco experience.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

ServerMistress
MCSE (2003), MCSA+M

I'm a CCNP with no experience that STILL works on servers (HP, Dell, Sun, Alpha, Vax)...let me know if you get out of this field...lol.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back