Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many applications using Foxpro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaLu

Programmer
Jul 16, 2004
US
Does anyone have an idea of about how many applications worldwide are still running in FoxPro or VFP? My user group is getting restless and I need some facts to throw at them.

This is a fascinating question. I'd love to know the answer.

But the fact is that it's impossible answer this question - not even a ballpark figure. Nobody can know how many developers are using VFP, let alone how many applications those developers have created. And even if you did know, you'd also have to know how many of those applications are currently in use.

Let me ask you a question: Why do want to know this? How is it going to cure your user group's restlessness?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I have to agree with Mike. It is impossible, and probably useless, to try to determine FP usage. Better to find some other way to address the issues your user group is having.

What I did find, which may or may not be true, is the following:

There are hundreds of thousands of developers worldwide using FoxPro who have an enormous investment in code and existing applications.
FoxPro history - November 1997

Granted, that is old, like 17 years ago, but it might give some indication of what the numbers may be today.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

Worldwide? Heck, I'm not exactly sure how many VFP apps we're running inside this company. [bigsmile]

I'm with Dan. Our company has 10 or so fairly large systems developed with Fox and probably another 25-? smaller utility apps that are used on a regular basis.
Granted, most VFP jobs I see now are wanting "programmers to assist in the migration from VFP to ...", but there is still fair amount of VFP development out there.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

we have over 20 different apps.

and we just launched one, we have 300+ retail POS locations using for new app in vfp9, sql backend, remote data.

Ez Logic
Michigan

there is still fair amount of VFP development out there.

There's still a fair amount of development going on in VB6, too, and it was discontinued a decade before VFP.

There is no number to tell you and it'll be fruitless to put together our own numbers.

>My user group is getting restless
What are the concerns at all?
Are we talking about your application users or a group of VFP users/developers. Are they restless to get/use new technologies? Or are they restless because they fear the end of the world?

Just a short statement by me, too:

VFP is discontinued, that's well known for 7 years nor, it continues to work anyway. To use new features of Windows, Office, UI, you need to use new languages and .NET Framework (on windows), if you would need to target other OSes you'd need other languages anyway, even not .NET, the most common denominator still is HTML,CSS and Javascript plus some DB, nosql or sql, webservices.

But the gap of what you can't do with VFP and need to have is not very large, is it? It may never get large for business line applications, as we still do our rather simple data entry forms. The other important part, data processing, is part of a database server, it can be moved to the database and doesn't need VFP improvements. You can make use of MS SQL Server or other database server improvements 100%. The other interesting development is offering parts of functionalities on mobile devices, some info for management, some data entry in labs or stock or for working mobile all in all, and for that you also don't need complicated apps, but perhaps new ways of data entry by camera, OCR, barcode, and all of that is mainly built into the devices, we just can use it.

What's lost is to do everything with one language and platform, get used to that.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back