Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long to Expand an array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasguy

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
I'm adding an 18.2GB drive to the raid 5 array on our Compaq ML370. This will make the array 4 drives, about 58GB. My concern is the time its taking for the expand phase. Its now at 12 hours and the array utility shows 12% completed...for the third time! Its gone to about 40% twice today and then dropped back to 0%. No errors are reported and it just seems to keep on going. Is this normal? I've done this before and 10hours was tops so I'm a little concerned.

Array has 2 partitions, C: and D: and is a basic mtds. OS is W2K server, SP4. Machine is PDC and Exchange server.

Are you using the software from within the OS, or the array manager that prompts at tsartup/POST of the server?

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

It took about 13.5 hours to complete stage one...expansion. I was running the array manager software that Compaq provides to manipulate the firmware in the array controller. Made me nervous that it took so long to complete. All is well now...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back