Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long should my processor run at 100%!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
I'm working in QA for a company, and one of the programs given to me to test causes my processor to run at 100% for just over 2 hours! (Its updating some MSDE data tables via VB) Is this going to cause me hardware problems?? Is there a way of limiting the processor use? - I guess that would just make it run for longer....

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be greatful!

Fi.

:)

If you have good cooling, don't worry too much about it. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer (but learning Java)

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my program!"

If your processor is running at 100% for too long you need to check it's temp just to make sure it is not rising too much. You could get a better cooling fan or better still a faster processor and more memory.

No problems as long as the temps aren't too high??
Anyway it will probably crash if it gets too hot.
You didn't say what processor?
Anyway, it may be wise to check that all your cooling is well up to scratch, extra case cooling and best available heatsink/fan for your processor type.

I think it is impossible to run a processor at 100%, because the bus speed on the processor is usually a lot faster than that of the memory. Even if you had the entire Database in Memory this is a doubtful proposition. It takes longer to fetch data than it does to process it, and it takes even longer to read/write storage devices. It might be possible to use 100% of the sytem resources, but that is not the same thing.

Excuse me for being doubtful!

If you did achieve 100% CPU processing that would be a neat trick. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back