Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long should Analyze take to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sradke

Programmer
Jul 12, 2004
US
I have several databases that I need to run analyze on. I was under the impression that analyze takes approximately 1 hour/gig to run. I have one particular database that I need to ensure is being maintained properly. About a year ago someone ran analyze on it and according to the log it took approximately 2 hours to run. I'm not certain how big the database was then, maybe 2 Gig?, but it is currently about 3 Gig. Unfortunately, I can't be sure what command line options were used then either. In that log file, there is a ton of information about files that were renamed, etc. I've been running analyze lately and it's running in 20 minutes or so and there is very little information in the log file. I have a hard time believing that there are no errors. Can someone tell me what is going on? The command line I run is:
analyze -Bd:\temp\backup -C -D -F -I- -V "d:\ssafe\source"

The only thing I can think of that's happened since then that may be worth noting is that the server was upgraded to new hardware and Windows Server 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sara

We have a database over 4 GB and it takes 2-3 hours to do an analyze/repair.

Al

Al

"Be quiet Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!" (Homer Simpson)

VSS Archive and Analyse Issue

We have a database that is 4.5 GB in size. Firstly, I have run an Archive removing the history prior to the 1/03/03. Secondly we ran the Analyse -C to compress. The database has now increased in size rather than reduced. It is now 4.7GB in size.

Does anyone know what we should do?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back