Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long it takes to pull a cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmopolitan

Technical User
Sep 5, 2009
CA
Hi,

I am new here and new to cabling world.
I thank you all in advance for any input with regards to this topic.

I am wondering how do you estimate time to install a cable including pulling, terminating, labeling and testing. Let's assume the following:

1) We will be pulling 2 Cat6 and 1 Cat3 cable at the same time, terminating in the same outlet.
2) The aver. length of each cable is 110'.
3) The hub rooms/telecom closet are on the same floor.
4) Brand new conduit is installed for the job.
5) 3 techs available for the job.

Thanks

All your concerns would be readily addressed with the spreadsheet that Peter has worked up (see profitdeveloper.com). Intense at first, this (now sensible and cellular) arrangement of facts has saved my bacon many times. It is especially helpful with bidding jobs that are just outside of your comfort zone.

Tim Alberstein

Not knowing the skill sets of all involved flat pricing might not be a good idea for you until you get your feet wet a few times. Some crews work more efficiently than others.
Is time & material an option?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

most places that I have received quotes from here in AZ average a single run to 1.25 hrs a double to 1.5 a triple to 1.75 and so on... this is for new construction. if you are going into an existing area and need to lift ceiling tiles, open conduits, reseal firestop, and so on. it may take you all day to do it. my average on any given day is 3 hrs per location.

There are many variables to consider so I would suggest you estimate according to the job itself, I normaly as a very general rule one hour per cable for the complete install, if you don't have to install any additional panels,blocks or whatever at the job (other than the faceplated,jacks etc at the station end).
Don't forget about labeling and testing,set up and clean up time,time of day,day of week,and location of the job.

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Cosmo,
I agree with recoa01 at 1.75 hrs per 3 cable (2 CAT6, 1CAT3). But remember there are economies of scale involved. Assume 30 pulls/term/doc of 3 cables the labor time might be around 48 hours or about 1.6 hrs each and 300 p/t/d might be around 420 hours or 1.4 hrs each. (note: estimates only)

Also the plenum conduit pulls are typically harder than hanger pulls and max pull strength cannot exceed 25 lbs. with max 2-90 degree bends between pull boxes. You also may need cable joes.

Is the conduit contiguous to the wall plate from the MDF? If not you may need plenum cable.

Why the CAT3?

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

If the conduit's only stub up above the ceiling, then make sure you allow for supporting the cable, TIA rules say support every 5 ft but that can be stretched out pending on what type of cieling structure your dealing with, (concrete,steel beams,wood trusses.

also if your ceiling is plenum rated,not only will the cable need to be plenum but so will any tie wraps used to aid in the support of the cable. and plenum tie wraps cost more.

Tim Roberts
RCDD
Roberts Low voltage Systems and Design

As everyone is saying, a lot of variables.

If your head is spinning, get an experienced tech to go on a couple walkthroughs with you, then pad his labor estimate a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back