Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long does an xubuntu installation normally take 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I'm just wondering how long an Xubuntu installation normally takes on say, a 1GHz CPU. I decided to try Xubuntu on a 166MHz P1 laptop with 64Mb memory. Started about 5 hours ago. It has been at 74% (Storing language...) for the last 4:30 hours. The disk is still running so I assume it is doing something.

I'm just checking the 'lite' installations to see what works on this machine at a reasonable speed. Puppy and Vector lite installed but were slower than Win2000. Crux, DSL, Fedora XFCE didn't work for some reason or other.

I'm not sure Xubuntu is 'lite' enough to run in that little ram. Everything will run much faster if you can squeeze in more.

The install time (so far) is credible.

Well, it has finally completed. I've lost track of how long it has taken. I'm still impressed that it actually installed when many others wouldn't.

I thought it had completed when it was asking to insert users. It hadn't. It is now at 1% of Configuring language pack. Has been since 2200 last night (appx 2000 TT time). It is still going, so I'll leave it to chug away.

I remember it taking >>8 hours on a 366 with 256Mb.
Your mileage may vary. ;-)

It was still going this morning. Got to about 36% of the setup and installation of packages.

Cor, is the CPU cache disabled or some such?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

No, nothing disabled. It is a very old machine. Probably has a slow disk too. Anyway, it is still chugging away.

It is now up to 57% of select and install software. Done about 3% in the last 24 hours.

Well, it has finally finished, 11 days to install. Must be a record. Starts up pretty quick though: only took 3 minutes.

It could very well be a record. I installed 7.04 on an old PIII laptop, and it did not take that long (a few hours at maximum, but I can't remember how long exactly). However, upgrading to 7.10 took more than 24 hours. The upgrade to 8.04 went by far better.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Heh - I too salute your patience - this thread was fascinating. Have a star for your dedication :)

new version out by not, XWB; time to upgrade ;)

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back