Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long can WLS run without having to bounce? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuniPR

Programmer
Mar 3, 2005
PR
Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance for your support.

How long can my WLS app server run without having to bounce it? Is there an Oracle recommended period of time?

I cannot find that information anywhere. I've had my servers run for 6 months flawlessly before having to bounce. We recently have some problems and my boss is asking this question and I don't know the answer!

Can any of you provide me with the explanation?

Thanks!!!

Nunina [gorgeous]
IT Manager
San Juan, PR

I don't think you will find any official answer for that. Production servers are designed to run 24x7 without a single failure. In theory, you shouldn't need to restart anything unless any problem occurs.

And if you find yourself in the need of restarting, I'd start thinking abour finding the root cause. Restarting is like hiding the dust behind the carpet.

Cheers,
Dian

It really depends a lot on the application you are serving. I've had some that could go months, if not years between restarts. I've also had some apps that had trouble making it through a single day.

The problem isn't really Weblogic, it's the app that you're running in it.

Thank you guys! That's exactly what I told my boss, but he wants it in writing, because HIS boss is asking. Of course, I told him no official info is available, but you guys are awesome.

Giving you both a star.

Nunina [gorgeous]
IT Manager
San Juan, PR

If you do want to achieve 24x7 availability, you can get that, but you will need to set up multiple servers. Look into setting up a Weblogic cluster on multiple physical servers. You can place them behind a load balancer or something along those lines. This way individual servers can be brought down and worked on for whatever reason, without making the application unavailable. It adds a lot of complexity, but it does increase availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back