Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long can a backup domain controller be up and take over? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjweaser

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US
I just to confirm that what I thought is correct that when your Primary Domain Controller dies and won't probably be up for a few days that the Backup Domain controller can be up and can also be restarted and shutdown with no problems, also take over the entire LAN for up to 60 days? Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks much!
cjweaser

What version of domain controller you talking about? Windows 200x with Active directory domain? NT 4 Domains?

If the domain controller that died is an Active Directory, were the FSMO roles running on that system? If so, you should seize control of those roles to the other domain controller. I'm assuming you have DNS running on the second domain controller and clients have that DNS entry in their IP settings so they can find it.

If this system is not running FSMO roles and the secondary domain controller is running DNS and FMSO...then you should be fine.

If NT 4 domain PDC, you should promote a BDC to PDC. Then you can re-introduce another BDC later.

Make sense?

FSMO roles by Microsoft link:

Thank you for the respond. The second domain controller is in Windows 2003 Server domain and the one that died has FSMO roles and yes it has DNS server running. So far we are okay. I'm still waiting for our brand new server with SBS 2003 standard with Exchange which won't be arriving until Dec 20th. I don't want to do double work , I'd rather wait for the new server and start fresh. The one that died will be another backup DC.

Your input is appreciated.

Be sure to seize the FSMO roles if they are not on the running domain controller. Many necessary services that AD needs is handled by those services. To ensure integrity of your domain...you will need to seize them to the existing DC.

Otherwise you run a large risk of total failure. That wouldn't be as much fun as seizing the roles in the beginning.

Yup, you'll need to sieze the FSMO roles.

What vendor do you go through, that takes a MONTH to ship a frickin' server???

Yes, I will seize FSMO roles immediately. I've been swamped here at work and I almost forgot that this is extremely important.

We orginally purchased the server from IBM and there was a problem and a big hassle dealing with customer service & tech support so I ended up returning it, and I placed the order from Dell last week. I've ordered servers from Dell before and it took 2 weeks. Let's be positive on this.

Thanks a lot!

Keep in mind that you'll run into problems if you attempt to bring that original DC back online if it thinks it's still the holder of those FSMO roles.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

The original DC will not be brought up anymore. The SBS 2003 server will be the new DC and the other 2 servers that we have will be backups of the new SBS 03 server.

Thank you!
cjweaser

I know that there are some specific tasks that you need to go through if you're adding an SBS box to an existing domain. This is because SBS is designed to the FIRST server in the forest & domain. Google it, and I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Introducing SBS into an existing Domain is NOT recommended... you can do it... but you might have problems now or in the future.

Reference:

And you have about 60 days before the server records are tomb-stoned and you AD develops problems from the date the server was last one. If you are not going to bring the server back up, I would recommend you use NTDSUTIL to clean up the metadata (note: make system state backups first on all remaining domain controllers).

Thank you guys for the concern. I won't be using the existing domain. As I have said, I would like to start fresh, there will be a new domain & new forest. The 2 existing servers will be demoted and will be promoted to be part of the new domain(w/ a new domain name). I know that it's a lot of work, but our network will be much better than before. It will be well planned and organized.

cjweaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back