Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How is private information seen on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

adspi81

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
MT
Anyone can tell me where the heck are e-mails gettting my location and name from? I clear the temp files, history, cache, prefetch and still get these e-mails.

The emails are not coming from your IE history caches or temp files, etc.

Have you ever bought something on-line?
Have you ever responded in a newsgroup?

Sometimes you find that you go online and see in a pop up, banner or whatever "Find singles in (your location)" often it's wrong, but sometimes it's close. Reason? They do a lookup of your (isp's) address and can narrow it down via that.
The only way I can think you get mail like this is if you entered such an site (not dating necessarly, but any that looks up your ISP assigend address) and is now spaming you.

e.g you entered Fred@myhost.com
it did a quick look up of you IP
192.168.0.1 (don't panic if that is your address!) went hey he's near NewLand so spam with
Fred in NewLand here is your Degree!

Spammer, don't you just love them? Nope, nor does anyone else.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

any webpage that you visit and enter your email address on is usually added to a list that is sold to marketing companies.

In short, it is not that IE in its caches exposes your email address.

Somehow, somewhere you did.

Thats why I have a Special E-mail address for forms.

I honestly believe anymore you need more than one email address:

. for business
. for family, friends
. for on-line purchases
. for everything else

I always "spoof" my email address in any public forum. (or decline the effort to make it public). Often this is not enough, as Google will turn up quoted emails from me to somebody else (not my fault).

Instead of typing in Outlook or OE my "real" email, at least make some effor to discourage SPAM harvets: e.g.:

c#bmudd#spam@verizon.#net
(remove the # signs and the word spam to access my account)

I check #1--#3 and never look at #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back