Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How I passed the CCNA certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

doktor

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2003
DK
I see many members of this forum asking how to obtain the CCNA certification. Some have failed, some are going to take the exam.
I started up on the Cisco Networking Academy Program on August 28th 2006.
We were facing 4 month of study, including approx 2000 pages in the 4 books - one for each module.
We studied 3 weeks intensely for each of the 4 modules.
Then one week was used to go back to work.

We used the new CCNA books from CiscoPress:
Module 1:
Networking Basics by Wendell Odom
ISBN 1-58713-164-1
Module 2:
Routers and Routing Basics by Wendell Odom
ISBN 1-58713-166-8
Module 3:
Switching Basics and Intermediate routing by Wayne Lewis
ISBN 1-58713-170-6
Module 4:
WAN Tecnologies by Allan Reid
ISBN 1-58713-172-2

One or two chapters from these mentioned book were studied every day. Theory in the morning. Multiple choice test after lunch and labs (hands-on) in the afternoon.
What did it?:
Good explanations from the teachers.
The most important issue was the labs (hands on).
I think that most engineers and technicians learn through their hands, so that is why labs were carefully trained by all students.
The ONLINE web study materials from CISCO was also used in the training class.
One good issue with the online study material was all the exercises with router sims. They helped wery much, so the labs with "real" routers and switches were easier understood.
An other important issue when you have to attend a 4 month course, like ours, is to have the understning for this from your family and boss.
Without these persons accepting your tecnical training course, you better not take it.
Our course started with a number of students. After a while some stopped because of the family or the boos needing them back to work.
After completing the 4 month of study about 80% of the students took the CCNA (full) certification and passed with over 900 points.
Key points for passing the CCNA:
*Understanding of the techniques of routning/switching.
*You need to do all the labs (hands-on).
If you can't borrow some router, you can buy them (used)on the web (e.g. eBay). Some (2x) 2500 routers are usefull for the labs with serial cables.
*Make shure that you understand Routing, ACL (access lists) and subnetting, as these subjects are seen (very much) as questions in the CCNA exam.

This was just some brief notes that I made on my way from the beginning of my first CISCO traing course - and definitely not the last...
This world is exiting.

/// doktor

Was wondering if you had ever heard of testout navigator for the ccna testing simulator? i am about to step through it - and my husband says its one of the best simulators - but just wondered if you had heard about it or knew someone that has or what thier thoughts were on it or using any additional sims....also - i spent roughly 105$ (80$ on shipping costs - 25$ on the equipment) for two cisco routers, a switch, and a router - to - router cable...i think if i buy one more switch and maybe another router this will be enough for a lab...what do you think?

my hubby took the year long cisco course when he was in kosovo, he said it was great....but he didnt pass his voucher test...so he has been studying like mad to complete this.

thanks for the insight!

Ada

No, I am sorry I haven't heard of the testout navigator...
I tried the Bosom simulator, but I wasn't happy with it, so I borrowed 2 pcs of 2500 routers, one 2600 and two 2950 switches for the labs. This helped a lot!
///doktor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back