Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How I can save application settings during a Terminal Server Session?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxmont

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
US
OK, here is my issue. I have an application, TABS, which remote users use via a Terminal Server. Within the application, there are print settings that need to be set, such as margins and paper type. (Note: I am not referring to printer settings, I am referring to the print settings within the application) The problem is when I make the changes in the application, log out of the TS, and log back in a new session is created and the application's settings are not saved, they revert back to the standard settings. How can I get those settings saved? Is there a way to make only a specific session be available for a user. For Example, Donna always log onto session 11.

This has been bothering me for awhile, any help would be greatly appreciated. Or any suggestions and workarounds.

Thanks in advance.

When a user logs in to TS it create a profile for them, so why the settings are changing is unclear. What mode is TS running in, APP Mode or Admin Mode and is it part of a domain? You would want it in APP Mode.

If you are running TS in application mode, did you install this application after you enabled application mode? As Dberg indicated, a user would have their own profile created under a TS session specific application info would be stored under the HKEY_USER hive in the registry

Every user that logs on to Terminal Server will have their own profile under c:\Documents and Settings folder. In order to save their settings, the user must be a part of "Remote Desktop Users" and/or "Administrators"

Server is running in APP mode and is apart of a domain.

However, the settings are removed once the session is closed. I have no idea why and the software people are NO help.

Can I have a particular session be consistent for each user.

The next time you login take a look at your profile folder and see if it is a temp. If so then that could be why your settings are not staying. Do you have a domain and if so why not join the server?

sxmont - I do good amount of support of apps shared on TS. The first thing you need to do is find out where the settings are stored. This can be in a number of places; HKLM, HKCU, %userprofile%\local settings\app data, application directory, etc.

Do a web search for "regmon" and "filemon"; those are very helpful tools to determine where the settings are stored. Simply start up the tools, change the settings in the app, and refer to the regmon/filemon output.

Some apps are more flexible with TS, and some are not. If the settings are stored in HKLM for example, the best you can do is have everyone keep the same settings.

If the settings are stored in a file, sometimes you can "trick" the app by making a different working directory for each user. For example, you could create a shared called TAB_HOME, have a user directory for each user; ie TAB_HOME\sxmont; TAB_HOME\wallst32. Configure the app in such a way that G:\TAB_HOME\%USERPROFILE%\settings.file is the applications's working directory. Then each "settings.file" can be unique.

But the bottom line is this is only possible if the application is built in such a way that provides the flexibility.

Thank You for your assistance. There is an .ini file that I think I need to manipulate in order for this too work. I am going to give this a try and see what occurs.

I wonder if I could protect the ini file so it does not go back to the default settings.

Checked permission settings on the ini file found in the users' directory. No luck.

Added the user to the administrators group and it worked. HOWEVER, this will not be acceptable because as an administrator, they see all of the printers from every session. Is there a way to only show the printer for the active session? Or is there a way to determine what permission and where it is located (registry settings?) that I need to modify so I do not have to give this user administrator permission to my TS.

This has been such a difficult issue. Haven't had one like this in awhile... Lucky for me then, huh... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back