Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how i can calculate the size of mysql server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nb45

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
CO
Hi currently we have 3 servers running with MySQL databases and I like consolidate the databases on only one server with 3 instances. Do you know or have a best practices in order to sizing correctly the server and the service?

BR.

do you mean sizing in the meaning of the hardware necessary to manage the server efficiently? i.e. RAM, processor speed, disk architecture etc? obviously the storage size itself is a trivial exercise.

for the rest, it's pretty much the same issue as any hardware sizing exercise. you need to make traffic estimates; provide app information on the likely mix of inserts, other non-idempotent transactions and selects. information on your network architecture is also relevant.

then you need to consider redundancy requirements and thus whether you should be running a master-slave configuration or using master-master replication or other forms of clustering. sometimes clustering is useful not just for redundancy but simply for performance reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back