Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How good is the spam filter in the Hub Transport role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
Is it good enough to replace 3rd party solutions like GFI and Symantec?

It'll filter out the spam that gets filtered out by Hotmail (since that's where its genesis was) but remember that it won't filter out any of the inappropriate content stuff. Personally I'd use the 3rd party apps as well.

I'll say this: Microsoft's internal messaging solution is to use HT's with Forefront on them, and ET's with Forefront on them. That's it. And, on a bad day, they can have 90 million messages come in, and their solutions filter out about 88 million of those as bad.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

I had to turn my content filtering off, even after setting Quarantine messages that have a SCL rating greater than or equal to 2 it still quarantined all scanned documents, it was driving me nuts so I disabled it.

thought it worked the other way round - quarantine 8 or higher?

Yup. 9,8,7 is almost certainly spam and 6,5,4 is less likely to be the dodgy stuff. Setting a quarantine on 2 will make for a very quiet mailbox indeed. Bliss, some might say :)

So will a setting of 2 force more mail to be blocked.
And a setting of 9 more lenient?

Setting the quarantine to 2 will block almost everything !!
Knock yourself up to 7 or so and tweak from there.

9 means only block guaranteed spam.
2 means block pretty much every email.

7 is a good start and will block most spam and practically no legit email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back