Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how generate an event when only an interface become down after N minut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarwan

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
I have configured perl script that send me an email event whenever a stat of a managed router interface become DOWN or UP.
to avoide receiving a lot of email alert due interface reset.
how to make the event generated only when an interface is down for exemple at least for 3 minutes?

many Thanks

Hi,

I don't know of a way of doing what you are asking for. There may be a way of doing this by altering configurations in the event correlation system, but this would be a very complex operation.

But, maybe you can just set the user interfaces to unmanaged in the NNM GUI, so that NMM won't report their status ? (i.e. select the user interfaces on a switch and then select Edit > Unmanage - the interface should change to a cream color when it is unmanaged)

Generally, you will only want to monitor interfaces that are important on the network (e.g. uplinks between switches, server ports etc.)

HTH

Nigel Bowden

I have a similar script but e-mail on Node down and Node up. I don’t trigger the script for interface outages. Individual interfaces can go up and down and generally do on switches and servers (you don’t control) with multiple interfaces. Maybe you need to apply your script to a different event.

Otherwise you would have to (in perl) receive the event and count to “N”, stop if event up comes but continue if up never came while counting.

Pretty complicated but if you’re a perl nut you can do it. If you do share our script as I’d like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back