Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Exchange 2003 optimize and defragment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caro8pare

Programmer
Jul 28, 2004
HK
Hi all

just have a big problem. Today suddenly can not using mail. I found is the disk space issue. I just deleted some useless file file and working properly right now. But I see this exchange server disk space growth too fast, now just remind 1GB.

And I see many Log file in exchange server (transcation log??? it seem useless, but I afraid delete will has a big problem).

Then my question is how to make server more disk space and does exchange server can make a "house keeping" itself scheduling?

regards

enable circular logging for starters (see help and type circular).

For diskspace, you may consider to add an extra disk and move the Exchange database over to that one.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

You generally don't want to enable circular logging. A better idea is to do backups of the Exchange store with an Exchange-aware backup program, such as ntbackup.

This will remove the log files from the server.

generally yes I'd agree but enabling circular logging will pretty certainly stop the disk running out of space. Committing the TLs with a backup will only free up the disk space every night/week which may be too late to stop the server hosing itself.

My point exactly!
Backup is a given, at least, it is supposed to be...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
How Do You Get Great Answers To your Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Marc, we DEFINITELY need to write that book - backups can form a big part!

Aah, so true ..
I have to free up some time, soon, very soon..

Marc
How Do You Get Great Answers To your Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back