Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how does yahoo do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
When I go to login into my Yahoo mail I see a rotating background image, how do they do that? I don't think its adserved. I see it happening on many sites like cracked.com

What is the best practices for that? Does that not slow down the page load?

In what browser?
Where does this image manifest itself?
What does it look like?

As you may be able to tell the only "rotating images" I see is the Firefox "page loading" animated favicon on the tab. :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Hi

I think by "rotating" the OP means displaying a random image from a given set.
GUJUm0deL said:
What is the best practices for that?
Personally I think the best practice is to never do that. At least I hate when a full page background changes completely from visit to visit.
GUJUm0deL said:
Does that not slow down the page load?
Only in not always letting the browser reuse the background image from cache when the page is reloaded.

Feherke.

Personally I think the best practice is to never do that.

I totally agree.

I also hate it when the page automatically shows a "slide show", which each image appearing for a few seconds before giving way to the next.

I've often found myself looking at an interesting photo, only to have it disappear without warning. Very annoying.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

MikeLewis said:
I've often found myself looking at an interesting photo, only to have it disappear without warning. Very annoying.

I'm glad it's not me just that dislikes them, I was beginning to think I was getting "old" :D

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

While I agree with the above, there are a number of ways to do that, to answer your question.

I could talk to you about Server.CreateObject("MSWC.AdRotator") if you want to use ASP/VBScipt, but I don't know what you are writing in.

Thanks all for the insight. I also personally hate it, but more and more sites are doing it.

I wanted to use CSS and jQuery for this. No real back-end code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back