Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does Wordpress file uploads work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyutghf

Technical User
Apr 12, 2008
GB
I love the way wordpress uploads files via drag and drop or browse and resizes them etc.

Does anyopne know how it works?

What do you mean how does it work? How does any file transfer work on the world wide web.

There is transfer protocols that are specified in the script that tell the server to grab the file you specify and they upload the files (using HTTP most likely since its done through a browser) then the php scripts on the server execute and resize them and then catalog the files in the WP database.

The logic is simple but the overall technology involved isn't (it's also not that complicated).

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Wordpress is GPL & open source, one could probably review the code and take what is needed.

True. But I suspect that he doesn't really want to know how the Wordpress code works. What he is really asking is how can he produce the same functionality in his own app.

Tyutghf, if that's right, you will need to tell us what development platform or tools you are using: PHP, or ASP.NET, or whatever? We can then point you in the right direction.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Thanks for the help, I do indeed want to produce something similar. It seems from looking at the files that wordpress uses plupload, I went onto the plupload website but none of the examples work stating that I need plugins but it all works fine on wordpress. Do wordpress use plupload as a basis and modify it?

I suspect that he doesn't really want to know how the Wordpress code works. What he is really asking is how can he produce the same functionality in his own app.

I suspect we perceive "open source" very differently. [bigsmile]

Do wordpress use plupload as a basis and modify it?

Most likely. These upload scripts are only starting points. You still need to configure to limit access to authorized users, limit file size and frequency, and limit upload to non-executable filetypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back