Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does TND monitor for the existence of a process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myonker

MIS
Feb 10, 2003
US
I have a process (cron) that is being monitored through the system agent. everytime cron executes multiple commands tng says the /usr/sbin/cron process has stopped when in fact it hasn't. How does tng determine if a process is up/down? any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

It looks like you're doing this on UNIX :)
While monitoring processes, TNG can do several things:

check for a restart (based on PID)

check for number of instances, with a MIN or MAX value(I suspect this *could* be your problem if your MIN=MAX=1 an alert is raised when more than 1 instance is found ...)
verify your process as monitored = /usr/sbin/cron not just cron as this could mean it finds an other instance as soon as another command as cron as some sort of parameter in its command line (can't remember exactly but TNG might look at process list and use "cron" in a regex)

check for resource usage (mem, cpu)

number of threads
etc...

I hope this can help you a little further ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back