Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does the default windows Backup tool works ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrcatherine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2003
US

I am curious to know as how the Windows 2000 server backup tool works ?

We are planning to get a new server with windows 2000 server and a built in tape drive. So can i use the default backup wizard given by microsoft 2000 server at Startup==>System Tools ==> backup ? to backup our files on to the tape ?

Or I need to purchase seperate backup software like veritas,arcserve ..etc ???

--thanks
Cathy

backing up shared files? it is good.
backing up Exchange Server? It is ok.
backing up SQL server? Hmm.

It is free. You get what you pay for.

But the thing is can i see the tape drive as how i see a floppy drive or CD drive to copy files on to tape drive ?

--thanks
cathy

You will be able to see the tape drive through remote storage management. I should say you "should" be able to see the tape drive there. In my case with an older HP I had to use the Windows 2000 drivers for the tape unit and could not use the drivers nor software that came with my HP server in order to use Remote Storage management and NT backup.

But as was said above, it is free and I can backup multiple servers with it whereas most of the software you purchase you have to purchase enterprise level to be able to backup more than one server.

Hope this helped.

It's free, but it's not that great. It relies on the Windows Scheduler, and I've had trouble with several customers not getting backups done because Scheduler freaks out. I would highly recommend going with a commercial product instead of relying on the included version.

Also, for backing UP SQL servers, it shouldn't be any different than doing a file backup. Just configure your SQL server to do a backup to disk at a specified time before the tape backup runs, then have the backup software run it's backup on the file while excluding the actual database that is running. Since it's not a hot backup it's a lot faster, and then you don't have to worry about record locking or licenses for SQL backup clients.

Is there any lower backup software i can use.
Its only for one server.

Because most of the backup software like veritas,arc or other are pretty expensive.

After looking at all your previous posts cathy it seems that you are working to a very strict budget.

My concern is that you may be underspending, this will only leave you with a defective system that does not meet your requirements.

If i were you i would really push for more money, you have aleady comprimised the benifits of a domain to save money, this alone causes back-up complications, as stated above you get what you pay for.

Dont be affraid of spend lump sums, look at it over a 3 year cost of ownership plan, if you spend little money now on your system the likely hood is that you will end up spending more in a short period of time, upgrading the system to keep up with your requirements.

Plus defectve systems cost lots of man hours in support and administration. Upgrades costs lost of man hours in implementation and testing.

Best stratagy in my opinion is to future proof you system, spend money early on to purchase a solution that will last you 3 years with a minimal amount of maintanence and support.

Depends on your definition on expensive. I thought that Veritas was pretty reasonable for just the single BackupExec for Windows license with media, it's well under $1000. And the benefit of something like Veritas is that if you add servers later, you can grow your installation by adding remote agent licenses for around $150.

That's a small price to pay for data security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back