Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does sql database size affect .ade file size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codemech

Programmer
Feb 8, 2004
US
As my backend sql database grows in size, my ade file grows in size. I thought that the size of ade would not be affected by this.

Can anyone explain.

C

Are you creating objects in the application and not releasing the memory used for the objects. For example, a recordset where the memory is not destroyed with
Dim rs as New ADODB.Recordset
Set rs = Nothing

Just adding data to tables. Lets say the adp (or ade) file is 260k whink no rexords in the database tables. I run an import routine to bring in lets say 10000 records. I ruin compact and repair. Now my adp file is 1200k.

Hope this clarifies the question.

Codemech

I feel your pain, I have an adp file that is 40MB after compacting. The only solution I have found is to create a new blank adp and export all the forms, reports, etc. into it. The result is an exact copy of the original adp but the file size is less. The problem with this solution is the amount of time it takes to export all my reports and forms since I have about 500 objects and I have yet to find a way to easily export them. It would be helpful if I could programmatically export the forms and reports. Anyway, if you find a solution to your problem elsewhere please let me know. Also, if you make an ade and run it in a read only enviornment the file size will not change.

Every time I run the "compact and repair database" option from the tool menu, I get the smaller ade file. This might save you time on exporting your objects to a new access project. Hope this helps.

As for the original post, in your Access project do you any code that may create new objects in your project e.g. code to create a new form or report? Check for that. I found that once in one of the projects I was working on once.

Rebooot

No code that is creating objects. My main concern is that when my SQL 2000 database grows in size ( more records added over time ) what is the impact of the Access 2000 adp file size.

-- Codemech

Nothing. The ADP file does hold any data hence no growth is going to affect it.

Rebooot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back