Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does outlook work with sendmail regarding calendar,notes,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colpaarm

Programmer
Jun 30, 2003
US
We're looking to replace our current ms exchange server with sendmail. Better spam control, etc. However, I'm not sure how to handle things like calendars, notes, tasks, journals and contact info. Specifically,

1. How does sendmail (or an auxillary program) handle this info?
2. How does one export this information out of exchange server and into above mentioned program?
3. How does one export email that is currently in ms exchange server into sendmail?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly sendmail is an MTA and only an MTA. It moves mail from point A to point B..... that's it (I'm talking about the open source version here). It will not do all of the tasks you mentioned above. If I were you I would look at the commercial version (Sendmail Switch) or just use sendmail as a smart host / mail relay and keep the exchange box behind it.

There is no God, only 10001010

Right, I realize sendmail is only an MTA.

So let me try and understand your suggestion. I guess outbound traffic would go right through sendmail. Inboud traffic would be relayed from sendmail to ms exchange, right? If that's your suggestion, it seems like it would work. However, doesn't that seem cludgy? What I mean is, let's say that I'm a new company and I want to set up a mail server (which means I'm starting from scratch). I want all of the features that my outlook client would provide. I'd have to use sendmail and buy ms exchange?

I guess my question is, isn't there an all open source solution out there? I know a lot of people use webmin for various email tasks and I have to look into exactly what this product can do for me. The bottom line is that this subject seems to be so poorly covered. Anyway, I would be shocked if there wasn't an open source solution for my above problem. Thanks once again for any help you or anybody else can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back