Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does MAC cloning affect Router\modem connectivity issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2010
US
Hi,

I was researching a query on MAC cloning and network latency or dropped connection issues and ran across reviewing a rather old post (thread583-646818) which seems to touch on it. My client has had issues as of late with her Business class Cable service with Cablevision (Optimum). My speed tests via Broadbandreport.com all pointed to issues on the line as I could only get a speed of about 5Mb\sec while the line is rated for up to 15 Mb\sec. After calling Cablevision and troubleshooting, the rep, as expected pointed the finger at the Linksys router my client has. He advised that the MAC was obviously cloned as the port appeared to be identified as a 1GB connection and he correctly assumed we did not have a Gigabit router. He indicated this could be a cause. So appease and get through the call, we removed the router from the equation and conected a PC directly to the modem. lo and behold, speed initially increased, but only marginally, to around 7 Mb\sec and only when tested on their recommended site A test at Speakeasy.net also returned a line speed of 5Mb\sec.

In the end, they replaced the cable modem and the field technician got the line speed up to 15Mb\sec. We'll see how long it last. But I'm curious as to why cloning the MAC would have any impact other than fooling the ISP into thinking you're using one PC and not a router. Which of course in 2010, is no longer a reasonable concern of any ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back