Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does bb work for small businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbusy

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
I've been thinking about purchasing a Blackberry device for remote access to email, but there's one part of the technology I'm not sure about. I understand that the Enterprise server monitors mailboxes and forwards information, but I'm not sure about the small business implementation.

All I could get out of T-Mobile's sales person was that it uses push technology, but she didn't know in what way. I'm guessing that a server somewhere regularly checks a POP3 account and then forwards new messages to the device.

What I need to know is if the checking process is something done by T-Mobile, or would I need a PC / Server somewhere constantly logged in and checking? I presume if T-Mobile to the checking part I would simply need to do some initial configuration to point to a POP3 server and wait for the mail to appear?

Any explaination or help greatfully received.

The best way is to get an BES Enterpriser server as you had pop 3 will not work with Blackberry . If you are using the Blackberry internet mail then you need to turn on the PC on all the time but the mails you get won't be real time where BES server is pushed out real time and you will not need the remote laptop any more. But the BES server can be expensive for 1 user. Do you have a business case for this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back