Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how does a workstation login to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnccy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
MY
hi there:

i am a linux newbie, so far my office using NT domain for network.
i am trying to use linux workstation to connect to a linux server.. but i don't have any idea about it..
i have already setup both server and workstation on linux machines and both network cards are running properly..
my question is how to configure my workstation so that it will connect to my linux server?
sorry for those stupid questions..

rgds,
johnccy
[bigears]

it depends what you want to connect them together for - command prompt or filesharing or.....

if you just want a command prompt then try running 'ssh serverip' (replace serverip with your servers ip address or host name)

ok, how about user account? can i just create users from server and use it at workstation?
or i must create both users at both machines?

what i don't understand is:
while i startup a workstation, during the logon screen, if i logon, i just logon to local workstation or i logon to server?

in a network, is it only one root that control all machines or each workstation has own root?

rgds,
john
%-)

Wow, where do I even begin with this one? Linux is a real multiuser O/S. what are you trying to accomplish with linux workstations? your best bet is to use the linux box as a server. Just keep the workstations as windows machines. That way, you can allow your windows workstations to connect to your linux box upon loggin in, so that they can utilize such server apps as mail server, ftp server, file server etc. have fun

Oh, you want to share user accounts across the network between Linux computers. Look into NIS or OpenLDAP. NIS is pretty easy to set up, but the security is awful. I've never used OpenLDAP before, but I hear its very good.

ChrisP

thanks a lot
have a nice day..

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back