Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you use DDE Links across a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctussey

Programmer
Sep 17, 1999
US
I'm trying to write two programs ,one that does the updates to the database, and the other displays messages to the user in the other program that calls on the same database, and would prefer to use a DDE will display the information to the other program. I can do it using the programs on the same computer, but when I place them across a network, I get nothing.

As far as I know you can only use DDE on the same computer. Try using a winsock message program to transmit messages to other computers on a network.

Hi Ctussey, spacey!<br>
<br>
NetDDE is fairly difficult to use, and definately undocumented. I think Microsoft is actively discouraging it's use (with good reason, IMO) You would be better off using DCOM or writing a sockets application. <br>
<br>
If you're ambitious, here's something to try: Use a Named Pipe to communicate. You can find samples in the MSDN under:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Platfom SDK<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Windows Base Services<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Interprocess Communication<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Pipes<br>
<br>
It handles all the messy lookup functions (finding the other machine, etc), and has a function called TransactNamedPipe which does a write and a read to/from the pipe all in one api call.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>

Thanks Chip<br>
<br>
I'll give that a try. And your right, I haven't found any good information on using the NetDDE.<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back