Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you upgrade an IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcfc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
GB
In the company I work for we have 8 routers and a few switches (all cisco) in the training lab .They are on IOS from 10.1 to 11.4 .How do I upgrade them all to the most recent version ,or even get them on the most up to date one that I have .

The First step is to find out what type routers you have and also the amount of memory and flash and what are you planning to do with these routers.

You will need a TFTP server, which will run on a laptop or other workstation. This does not have to be any power house station. Next go to the Cisco site and download the upgrade instructions for each particular device. Ensure that all the hardware meets the requirement of the IOS that you are upgrading to. One by one follow the instructions to success. Remember that different devices have different sets of procedures, so make sure you understand the entire process BEFORE beginning.

I agree. Your first step should be to check out the Cisco website for your correct IOS. Remember that Ram and the Modules installed (fibre, Wic etc etc)all have to be accepted by the IOS. The web site will tell you. Also, try not to download any TEST IOS upgrades. As these are not guranteed to do thier job 100%, unless your router or infrastructure calls for it. I have had my fingers burned in the past! Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back