Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you set a timeout for YP (NIS) in Solaris 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meinnm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US

I am creating a system disk loading Solaris 9. I do not want to put it on the network just yet as it is going to replace a system that is currently on the network. I am running YP (NIS). How do I make it eventually time out and continue to boot all the way up when it can't find the NIS server?

Did you run an ypinit -c on this workstation? If so, I would run sys-unconfig on the workstation and set it up to run stand-alone. After you run sys-unconfig, the OS will reboot and will start sysid to get node/network/name service/etc information. The first question it will ask is if the workstation is on the network. If you answer NO, sysid will skip all steps to gather network information including name service. Once you are ready to put the workstation back on the network, run sys-unconfig again and set it up to run on the network.

I forgot one thing. You can run boot -s to get into single user mode so you can run sys-unconfig.

So there isn't anyway of telling after x amount of minutes continue with boot up? I run some alphas (Digital Unix) and it can set it to continue with boot up at trying to locate the yp server for five minutes. Thanks for you help it is appreciated.

I haven't had this problem for a while... At least not since I moved to Solaris 9. But, I know when I was first bringing up my area using NIS with Solaris 6, my workstations would stop at ypbind if the NIS server was not available.

Hi,

I would edit /etc/init.d/inetsvc to not start NIS (bind to the NIS server).

Hope this helps!

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back