Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you select points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen52

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Sorry, I know this is really basic but I can't fathom it.

Say you take a text character and convert it to outlines.

You have a closed path?

How do you select one of the points in the path so that:
a) you can move it independently of other points
b) you can make bezier curve handles appear

It drives me nuts. Sometimes you click on a point and it selects it independently - other times it selects the whole graphic. I have tried alt-click, control-click etc but nothing seems to be consistent. Is it me?

Sorry, not an Illustrator user and that's all there is on this machine.

Thanks very much for any help.

use the white arrow (direct selection tool) to select anchor points. Use the shift to select multiple points or deselect an anchor point.

carlow

Thanks for your answer. I am using the Direct Selection tool but:
Sometimes when you click on an object it shows the path and clicking on a point does not allow you to select the point - i.e. if you click and drag the whole object moves
Other times when you click on a point the point moves.

I can't understand the difference. What do you do to make the direct selection tool select a point so you can move that point independently and adjust the bezier curves?

Thanks again.

If you click with the direct selection tool on a vector between two anchor points you select every point. You must be precise and click on a specific anchor point to select only this anchar point.

carlow

Sara:

One handy tool for viewing and editing direction handles (bezier handles): Go to Select>Direction Handles (or something to that effect) in the Select menu. All the direction handles will be visible and editable at once.

Bert

I Use the Direct Selection tool (White Arrow) and drag a box around the point(s) I wish to select. The selected anchor points change to a filled box instead of an open box. When the tool is directly over a point the icon changes to show an arrow with a little square below and to the right of it. Ctrl-U (Smart guides) is helpful too - it indicates whether the tool is on a path or anchor etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back