Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you see who is logged into CMS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTMCKEE

MIS
Jul 6, 2001
US
We are having intermittant problems between a remote switch and our CMS. Supervisors are unable to log back into the system. I've told them to wait 20-30 min for there session to time out, and that usually works.

what i was wondering is, is there a way to see who is logged into the cms, and if it is possible to "boot" them. Or end a session so they can log back in?

RTMCKEE

In CMS looged in as root you can type ps - ef |grep win_io
This will give you a list of loged in users. To log a user out you can use the kill -9 comand followed by their process id. The process Id is the first number after their login name usualy 5 digits.

Start a UNIX session and type "who -u"

This will give you the login ID's of those currently logged in, along with a PID (process ID) that you can use to issue a 'kill' command.

enter "who -u"

response "user pts/2 Sep 2 06:31 . 17109 (10.189.12.189)"

enter "kill 17109"

This should end the process associated with that login. Just be carefull using 'kill' if you typo the pid, you could kill a process that is crucial to cms operation.

Hope this helps.

Chris

When I tried using the "kill" command I get "permission denied". How do I fix this?

DarthSkywalker,

Are you loged in as root ? The root login should alow you to complete any comand.

When you do the who -u or ps - ef|grep win_io is root listed ?

use the command last -n 10 (10 = total) you will see all people login and on what ip addresses

command: "who -q" will give you the user names, and total count of users logged in.

Thanks,
Chris

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back