Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you monitor/find "problem" reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keg3

Programmer
Apr 2, 2004
US
We have quite a few groups that create and publish CR10 to CE10. These developers have access to publish to the development server. Our group then publishes to production and is also responsible for most aspects of using CR/CE.

My current problem is that there are reports running on Crystal Enterprise that are either executing for too long or utilizing too much CPU. I do not know how to find the culprits.

We are using an auditing database, but I would like another option for finding what is running that minute on the server. In Cognos, we could actually match up the processing id from task manager. Is there no such options within CE?? How do you monitor your reports? Thanks.

I think that you can query the CE database using the CSP Query Builder, but this is not a proactive approach either.

You can place a timeout on the page or cache server which should help to identify slow reports as it will bomb slow reports, but I would suggest building the performance assessment into the QA cycle.

There is also the sample page of View Instances by User/Status which should give you a snapshot of the current if you'd like.

Check along the left hand side of the CE Launchpad for the sample app.

-k

I agree with SV - this is really an issue for QA. It sounds like there aren't any controls over what gets published to CE. As such, you're trying to find problems after they occur.

With a good QA process, you'd identify slow running reports before they ever got to CE.

~Kurt

We have a TEST environment, and reports have to meet an execution time threshold before they are put into PRODUCTION.

MAX. 1 minute => VIEW-ON-DEMAND
MAX. 4 minute => SCHEDULED (during business hours)
MAX. 30 minutes => SCHEDULED (outside business hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back