Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make the background of an object transparent?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeaisha

Programmer
May 30, 2003
SG
I'm new here... Does anyone know how to make the background of an object transparent???

thanks...

WOW! I've never used Paint Shop Pro 3. I started with version 5. *g* Maybe someone will be able to help you. Have you thought of, well...like...upgrading ;~)

mike

I've used PSP since the first version which, if I remember correctly, didn't even fill a floppy disc! I'm not sure which version started supporting transparency, but it was a long time back so it might be available in PSP3???

Check under Colors to see if you have the Set Palette Transparency option. If you have ...

Your graphic will have to be limited to 256 colors, so you may first need to use Image/Decrease Color Depth.

The easiest way is to set the transparency to set it to the current background color. Remember if the color you select as background is included in your graphic, that piece of the graphic will also be transparent. To avoid this use Fill to color the background, opting for an unused color. (Magenta is often a good choice!!!)

You'll need to save it as a GIF and will need to use GIF89a interlaced. Use Options in the Save As GIF dialogue box to select the 89a interlaced version.

Fingers crossed. <G>

I have seen Paint Shop Pro 5 given away on several Magazines lately, from memory I think 5 will do what you want.

Really? which magazines? I really a better version now but I would only be able to upgrading stuff next year...

I too used PaintShop Pro when it was first out. I think it was shareware too. I kept it as I moved from pc to pc, It was backed up onto a floppy disk. I tried lots of other packages but always went back to my dear old PSP. Took the plunge last year and bought PSP 7. It is wonderful and I am looking to upgrade to 8 when I have the spare cash. I have tried the beta version and I think it's worth the upgrade price.

As for Paint Shop Pro free on mags. It's often on Digital Camera magazines. Keep your eye open for it. My boss put PSP5 on his pc from a mag disk then paid the upgrade cost for 7. I think it was about £40. I paid nearly £90 for the full version 'cos I couldn't find my PSP floppy. Mind you I don't think I would have got away with upgrading but you never know. Have you tried ringing Jasc? If you registered your version 3 they might let you.

Good luck!

Learn something new every day *:->*
AyJayEl

Thanks everyone for your help. I've found the full version of psp5 in PCHome. Kind of not sure how to use some of the tools but I'll take time to explore... =)

I've searched real hard and it finally paid off when I found this PCHome magazine together with a free CD that contains psp5. I couldn't believe it was a full version... There's also animation shop1 and other stuff inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back